On August 6th we celebrated Harper's 1 year Gotcha day.
I cant believe 1 year ago I was in Ethiopia. I still remember the sights and smells and the feelings that were running through me. What an experience it was. The traveling, the foods, people, time spent with Tim, the unknown and picking up this sweet girl from the orphanage. I spent months thinking about what that moment would be like. Carrying her out of that place, an orphan no more. Forever in our family. When the time came, I soaked it in. We drove away from the Thomas Center, with her on our lap and our life with our Sugar began. We didnt know each other. I didnt know anything about her personality, what she likes and didnt like. We had to figure that all out. Trial and error. There were some big tantrums thrown. She very quickly learned there were snacks in the big bag I carried. We gave her a continuous supply to keep her happy and the tantrums at bay. Shortly after we returned to our guest house, she smiled. A real, big smile. She started saying Dada and Mama. She looked happy. Nothing like all the pictures that were sent to us during those long months of waiting. She was ours. I will never forget those days in Ethiopia with Harper. They were special. And this year has been hard but so incredibly worth it. Because while I may have hard days and struggle, this little girl knows love. She has sisters and a brother and grandparents now. And she will grow up knowing she has a heavenly father, who loves her so much.
This year has flown by. I have watched Harper grow and change. She has overcome some struggles and has let her personality shine. She is a joy in our family and we continue to grow closer the longer she is home. Harper is talking more and able to communicate her wants and feelings which is awesome! She is also potty training, getting to be such a big girl!
She loves stuffed animals, her blanket and anything soft. I sometimes catch her singing what sounds like Twinkle, Twinkle, Jesus Loves Me or Happy Birthday. She loves her sisters and brother. She and Joel play hard together, fight & love like siblings. She looks up to Hannah and enjoys snuggling her. Harper is a total daddy's girl. I love to see her face light up and the big smile that spreads across her face. This doesn't happen often so its very special when it happens.
I'm sure thankful God brought her into our family. I feel very blessed and sometimes unworthy to be her momma. I hope and pray I can be all she needs me to be.
I cant wait to see what this next year brings for our sweet, beautiful girl.

No comments:
Post a Comment